Due to a change in funding for SRL, we have revised our grant guidelines and eligibility requirements. Before submitting an application, please read the grant information enclosed below carefully.
Faculty and graduate students who are citizens of Afghanistan, Albania, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Burma/Myanmar, Cambodia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Haiti, Kosovo, Laos, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Nepal, Palestine, Serbia, Tajikistan, Tunisia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkmenistan, or Uzbekistan may consider applying to the Open Society Foundation's Civil Society Scholar Awards to secure additional funding.
All SRL applicants (domestic and foreign) are eligible for grants.
- Graduate students are eligible for awards of up to 10 days of paid housing.
- All other scholars are eligible for up to 5 days of paid housing.
- Grants are for a shared three-four bedroom suite.
Individuals desiring a single suite are responsible for the additional fees. Grantees are welcome to stay longer than the award period at their own expense. A very limited number of awards are available to international applicants or permanent residents and both receive the same amount of support.
Grant Application Criteria and Restrictions
Limited funding is available for international applicants.
The application deadline for this year's Summer Research Lab will be April 15, 2015. REEEC will continue to accept applications after the deadline, but housing and travel funds will not be guaranteed.
All applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- Faculty or graduate students at a university or college.
- Individuals with a PhD doing research on the region.
- Credentialed independent scholars.
- Individuals working in an area of government, NGO, or business related to the region.
- Librarians specializing in the Slavic, East European, and Eurasian field.
In addition to the above, please read the following carefully:
Research Eligibility Criteria
Scholars conducting policy relevant research on the countries of Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan are eligible to apply. Proposals regarding Kosovo are also eligible for funding this summer.
Fisher Fellow Award (click for more details)
- Graduate Student at dissertation stage or post-doctorate scholar (<5 years following PhD).
- Available to attend SRL during June 2015.
Graduate Student Travel Grants
A limited number of travel grants are available to qualified graduate students on a competitive basis. Preference will be given to those at the advanced level.
Eligibility: All criteria specified above applies.
Award Amount: Up to $300 depending on distance and type of travel.