Search Engines & Index Sites
- REESWeb The most comprehensive guide to network resources of interest to scholars of the NIS and Central and Eastern Europe. The REES center at University of Pittsburgh keeps a growing mountain of information well organized.
- Russian and East European Network Information Center (REENIC) Run by the University of Texas Center for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies
- Slavic Research Center, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan Excellent index site for resources on every country in the region.
- Soros Foundations Network
- University of London SSEES Not as comprehensive as the others, but has some good links, particularly to European sites.
- Cyril and Methodius Megaencyclopedia News, culture, a search engine. In Russian.
- Friends and Partners This site provides information on various aspects of Russian culture with an extensive list of links to other relevant sites. A chat room and bulletin boards offer students a chance to share questions and knowledge with people interested in similar subjects, but the students should always be warned that information posted in these settings are not monitored and therefore not necessarily accurate.
- Koronator Server, in Russian.
- Russia on the Web Links to sites devoted to various aspects of Russia: history, language and literature, culture and art, education, philosophy, business and economy, society and politics.
Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova
- Brama Gateway Ukraine Ukrainian news, arts and culture, business, sports, and more.
The Baltic States
- Institute of Baltic Studies Based in Tartu, Estonia, the IBS has created an excellent catalog for digital information on Baltic cultures and societies.
- Internet Resources on Latvia Government, news and media, academic links. Compiled by the School of Slavonic and East European Studies, University of London.
- Welcome to Latvia Latvian server, in English.
Caucasus and Central Asia
- Afghanistan Online
- Central Eurasian Studies World Wide Sponsored by the Harvard Program on Central Asian and the Caucasus, this site has good links for scholars and teachers (see the Suggested Readings list, for example).
- The Tajikistan Update Has links to information about all of the countries in Central Asia and the Caucasus, with news, culture, photos, personal home pages, and so on.