Dr Mark D Steinberg
PhD, UC Berkeley, 1987
MA, University of California, History, Berkeley
B.A., University of California, History, Santa Cruz
Countries of Study
Russia and former Soviet union
- Russian History from Early Times to the Present: Power, Imagination, and the Everyday
- Problems in Late-Imperial Russian History
- HIST 461: Russia from Peter the Great to the Revolution
- Russia in Revolution: Experience and Imagination
- Interpreting the Modern City: London, Paris, Berlin, St. Petersburg
Research / Training Specializations
cultural, intellectual, and social history of Russia in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Research interests focus on the cultures of the city, modernities, emotions, religion, the experiences and worldview of lower-class Russians, and the development of ideas and values.
Distinctions / Awards
Editor, Slavic Review, August 2006-13 Board of Directors and Executive Committee, American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies, August 2006-13 John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, 2007-08 University of Illinois, Humanities Leave Time Fellowship, 2008 International Research and Exchanges (IREX), 2004
- Steinberg, Mark D. Petersburg Fin de Siecle. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2011.
- Interpreting Emotions in Russia and Eastern Europe . Ed. Mark D. Steinberg and Valeria Sobol. Northern Illinois University Press: DeKalb, 2011.
- Steinberg, Mark D., and Nicholas V. Riasanovsky. History of Russia, 8th edition. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Religion, Morality, and Community in Post-Soviet Societies. Ed. Mark D. Steinberg and Catherine Wanner. Bloomington: Woodrow Wilson Center Press and Indiana U Press, 2008.
- Steinberg, Mark D. Proletarian Imagination: Self, Modernity, and the Sacred in Russia, 1910-1925. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2002.